A Newly Developed Russian Placement Exam
Russian is the most geographically widespread language of Europe and Asia, and it is the most widely spoken Slavic language. It is also Europe’s largest native language with 144 million native speakers. Russian is the seventh most spoken language in the world, and is one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Thus there is a need for developing and testing to assess current fluency levels of college students (and others) and their proper placement was imperative.
In terms of college enrollment, in 2009 26,883 students enrolled in Russian language classes. This is an 8.2% increase from 2006 and is projected to continue to grow. With this growth Russia is the 8th fastest growing language course. (MLA enrollment Survey, 2009).
While we witness the growth of other languages, Russia still holds strong for many people:
- At 6,592,800 square miles, Russia is the biggest country in the world.
- Russia is the worlds 9th most populated country.
- It is one of the largest producers of oil and natural gas globally.
- The media has recently described Russia as an energy superpower. It is the 3rd largest producer of electricity in the world.
- Russian webCAPE placement test is one of the premier placements tests for perspective Russian speakers
WebCAPE takes care of the sorting for your institution. Based on the facts above, we can safely assume students of all Russian proficiency levels will be coming to your colleges. WebCAPE quickly & efficiently measures and places them into an appropriate Russian course.